Key facts (World Health Organization)
- 5 million deaths each year.
- 320 000 young people 15 to 29 worldwide die (9% of all deaths in that age group)
- Alcoholism is the second largest risk factor for disease burden in Europe.
- Alcoholism is associated with
- child neglect and abuse
- absenteeism in the workplace
- Circa 300,000 alcoholics (DE Hoop GGZ)
- 4,400 die of alcohol misuse per year (Jellinek)
- 164 die of heroin misuse per year (Jellinek)
- 30,000 treated per year (Landelijk Alcohol En Drugs Informatie Systeem)